How to Hire a Film Crew in St. Paul
Learning how to hire a film crew in St. Paul is not an easy process. You have to be diligent and patient with the process, so that you can have high-quality videos at the end of the day. There are plenty of aspects to consider when hiring a film staff, you have to look at your budget, as well as the reliability, and experience of your crew. To enable you to carry out your hiring exercise with confidence, Team Beverly Boy has outlined important resources that you can use.
Contact our office line at 888-462-7808 if you need professional crews in the following zip codes 55101, 55103, 55105, 55107, 55113, and others.
Film Crew Positions
The first step is to understand the different positions in the crew, and to know how the roles work in the film production process. By hiring certain positions in a specific order, the rest of the positions in your professional St. Paul crew can be filled with the right recommendations.
As a leading video productions company, we offer full service St. Paul film production services from location scouting to obtaining St. Paul film permits. Whether you need a 3-man film crew at Como Park Zoo & Conservatory, or you are shooting an independent film on Rice St, our team has you covered.
Here’s the St. Paul film crew hierarchy:
- Director – Driving force of the entire production. Recommends the crew’s best-performing members for other roles.
- Script Writer –Composes the script if there isn’t one already. If you have already drafted one, you have to show it to the prospective director who will look at it before taking your project.
- Line Producer – Manages the production budget.
- Unit Production Manager – Manages the production logistics. Also, with the line producer, they can recommend other crew members where applicable.
- Production Coordinator – Responsible for administrative tasks like the paperwork and contracting in massive projects
- Locations Manager – Hunts for suitable filming locations outside the studio.
- Cinematographer –Films the project, which is one of the most crucial roles in the production.
- Production Manager – Negotiates contracts and manages the production expenses. Often recommended by the production designer.
- Production Designer – Responsible for all creative aspects of the project.
- Sound Engineer – Ensures quality audio is produced for your video.
- Sound Crew – Supports the sound engineer with any tasks that will help in producing quality audios.
How to Find a Film Crew in St. Paul
The simplest way to find a film crew in St. Paul is by hiring an experienced film production company like Beverly Boy Productions. You will also have to do your homework to ensure that you have the finest team working on your project. The beauty about working with a professional team that has extensive experience is that it will be easy for you to make a decision.
In case you want to tackle the hiring process on your own, find below some important tips on where you can find film crew professionals in St. Paul:
- St. Paul’s Film Commission – the local commission is a great resource for all the info you need about filming in the region. Get access to a list of qualified local experts who are in the production directory you will find in the commission.
- St. Paul Film crew websites & forums – great places for you to find people who can fill in certain positions in your roster.
Hiring a Film Crew in St. Paul
Let’s say that have listen down potential contenders to add to your film crew, how should you prepare to make sure that your whole film production in St. Paul runs smoothly? Keep in mind that the size of your film crew in St. Paul will be based on the requirements of your project.
Reach out to us today if you need production crews in Anoka County, Washington County, Dakota County, or Hennepin County.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
The subject of film crew Pay can be an awkward headache, but you have to handle it when hiring. The best way to approach it is by being open about the pay rates and expectations of the film crew member. Just because someone is willing to work for cheap, doesn’t mean the work they put out will be the quality you want! When deciding on your budget, expect to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel represents the value of one’s work. It’s a video that showcases previous work to a current or prospective customer. It showcases one’s core features and capabilities, which help in closing a deal. Coupled with a resume, the prospective customer can gauge the person’s style and work ethic.
In the case a demo is not available for a position, the best alternative is to check with references. Resumes provide the basic information about one’s previous experiences, but it’s best to reach out to people they have worked with to better understand one’s skill set.
Dos and Don’ts
- DO seek second opinions on your recommendations
- DON’T assure anyone a position as you can easily meet someone else better suited for the role.
- DO ask for recommendations from the crew if you cannot find someone to fill in a position
- DON’T bring on board individuals whose personalities will not mesh well with the rest of the crew, even if they are talented.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in St. Paul?
This article has provided you with the info you need to hire a film crew in St. Paul. Use the resources provided to pick the best crew to work on your upcoming project. If you have problems going through the process, feel free to request Team Beverly Boy to handle the hiring process for you. We’re a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in St. Paul that are ready to work.
Our teams can execute any film project you want in St. Paul or in nearby cities like Maplewood, Roseville, Little Canada, or Mendota Heights. When it comes to hiring a film crew in St. Paul, we are the go-to guys! Contact our office if you need filming pros for interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films.