How to Hire a Film Crew in Durham
Learning how to hire a film crew in Durham can be overwhelming but it’s helpful when you want to produce the best quality videos! There are plenty of other things to think about when hiring a film staff: budget, dependability, and expertise. Beverly Boy has put together options for you to think about as you approach hiring someone for the job!
We also provide service for the following zip codes: 85718, 85226, 85048, and 85701.
Film Crew Positions
The first step is to consider the various things that go into the film production process and who you may need in various positions. When you choose them in a specific order, the people you hire for a professional Durham crew can help the rest of the process go smoothly.
We offer full service Durham film production services. From location scouting to Durham film permits, we’ve got the resources you’re looking for to get it right every step of the way. Whether you need a 3 man film crew at Eno River State Park or you are shooting an independent film on Ninth Street, our team knows what to do.
Here’s the Durham film crew hierarchy:
- Director – The driving force behind a production project. They can also help you figure out who else to hire.
- Script Writer – Necessary if you don’t already have a script. Directors may want to see a script before they accept your project.
- Line Producer – Helps you make sure to produce your video within your planned budget.
- Unit Production Manager – Responsible for production logistics. With the line producer, they may have insight on how to find other necessary crew members.
- Production Coordinator – For larger productions, this person can help with project tasks, like paperwork, contracts, and more.
- Locations Manager – These people look for locations outside of a studio.
- Cinematographer – The person who’s shooting a project—a very important role on set.
- Production Manager – The person who handles production expenses and negotiating of contracts. Cinematographers could have suggestions.
- Production Designer – Responsible for the creative side of a project. They can be recommended through production managers.
- Sound Engineer – The one who can makes it so that the audio in your video is top quality.
- Sound Crew – Sound engineers may seem to work magic with sound but the truth is that they can’t do much if the original audio is terrible—this is where the sound crew is important.
How to Find a Film Crew in Durham
The best way to find a film crew in Durham is to hire an experienced film production company like Beverly Boy Productions. You will still want to do some homework on what type of crew is best for you but you can trust that Beverly Boy has the team who can provide expertise you may be looking for.
If you want to take on the job on your own, you can use resources like these to find the best film crew professionals in Durham:
- Durham’s Film Commission – the local commission is a great way to find top options in the area. Most importantly, they have a production directory that helps you connect with local qualified crew members easily.
- Durham Film crew websites & forums – a great way to fill your specific roster.
Hiring a Film Crew in Durham
What if you have various options for candidates for your film crew. What should you be looking for to make sure the entire film production in Durham goes well? You can make sure your film crew in Durham is designed for your project’s specific needs—you don’t need a huge crew!
We also service Person County, Chatham County, and Orange County.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
The subject of film crew Pay can be awkward, but it’s worth it for the transparency you want to have when it comes to payment for your film crew member. Just because someone is willing to work for cheap doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll receive the quality you want! When deciding on your budget, you’re more than likely going to need to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel is a video that can show off the work that someone has already done. This option with a resume is a great way for you to see what a person can offer you in terms of experience and skill.
When they don’t have a demo, something you can consider doing is reaching out to references so that you get more in-depth details about their skill level and professionalism.
Dos and Don’ts
- DO ask others for a second opinion on a candidate you’re considering.
- DON’T promise anyone a position. You could find a better candidate later!
- DO ask for crew recommendations if you can’t fill that position.
- DON’T hire someone that may have skill but simply doesn’t have the personality that would work well with your team.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in Durham?
Now that you have an idea of what you need to hire a film crew in Durham, it’s a good idea to use all this information. If you still have any worries about the process, consider calling Team Beverly Boy. We’re a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in Durham ready to work.
We’re ready to help you with your film project from pre production to post, whether you need interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films, we’d be happy to assist you. When it comes to hiring a film crew in Durham we are the go to guys!
We also service Chapel Hill, Burlington, Mandale, and Anderson.