How to Hire a Film Crew in San Jose
Learning how to hire a film crew in San Jose can be a daunting task to take on, but is necessary to ensure you create the highest quality videos! There is plenty to consider when hiring a film staff: budget, reliability, experience, and much more! Team Beverly Boy has listed important resources that can help you approach this process with confidence!
We also service the following zip codes: 94501, 94044, 93660, and 95024.
Film Crew Positions
The first step is to familiarize yourself with the many different roles that play a crucial part in the film production process. By hiring certain positions in a certain order, your professional San Jose crew can help make the hiring process go smoothly.
We offer full service San Jose film production services. From location scouting to San Jose film permits, we’ve got the tools you need for every step of the way. Regardless if you need a 3 man film crew at the Winchester Mystery House or you are shooting an independent film on Leland Avenue we’ve got you covered on it all!
Here’s the San Jose film crew hierarchy:
- Director – The driving force of the production. They can also recommend other people for other positions, especially those they work well with.
- Script Writer – This person is necessary if you don’t have a script written. Prospective directors often ask to see a script before accepting any project.
- Line Producer – this role helps to ensure that your production stays on budget.
- Unit Production Manager – this person is responsible for production logistics. With the line producer, they can offer some insight on how to find other crew members.
- Production Coordinator – For larger productions, this person helps with contracting, paperwork, and other such administrative tasks.
- Locations Manager – Scouts out solid locations for film sets needed outside of a studio.
- Cinematographer – The person filming the project! One of the most important roles!
- Production Manager – The person in charge of expenses and contracts. Cinematographers may have recommendations for this role.
- Production Designer – Responsible for creative aspects of the project. Can be recommended to you through production managers.
- Sound Engineer – The one who makes the audio sound top-quality.
- Sound Crew – Sound engineers may seem like wizards with a magic ability, but not even they can work with poor quality audio! A sound crew ensures that the engineer has what they need to make it come together.
How to Find a Film Crew in San Jose
The easiest and quickest way to find a film crew in San Jose is to hire an experienced film production company like Beverly Boy Productions. You still need to do your homework to ensure that you’re working with the best team for your specific project, but our knowledge can help you make even the toughest decisions for your production!
If you would rather tackle the hiring process alone, here are some tips on where to find film crew professionals in San Jose:
- San Jose’s Film Commission – the local commission will be your best resource for all things filming in your specific location. Most importantly, they have a production directory that allows you to connect with qualified crew members easily.
- San Jose Film crew websites & forums – this is another good way of finding people to fill roles in your roster.
Hiring a Film Crew in San Jose
Let’s say you have a few different potential candidates to add to your film crew. What should you be looking for to ensure that the whole film production in San Jose runs smoothly and on time? Keep in mind that your film crew in San Jose is tailored to your project’s needs. This means that it doesn’t need to be large if that’s not what you need to finish your production!
We also service Alameda County, San Joaquin, San Benito, Santa Cruz, and San Mateo County.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
The subject of film crew Pay can be awkward, but is a must when hiring. You need to be open about the pay rates and expectations of the film crew member and it needs to be upfront. Just because someone is willing to work for cheap, doesn’t mean the work they produce will be the quality you want it to be! When you are deciding on your budget, expect and plan to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel is a video that showcases the work an individual has done. When this is coupled with a resume, you can see whether this person’s style matches that of your own interests.
In the case of a position that doesn’t have or need a demo, checking the person’s references can go a long way. Resumes are a basic method of gauging a person’s experience, but sometimes it’s best to reach out to those who’ve worked with them to really understand their skills (or lack thereof) and experience.
Dos and Don’ts
- DO ask for a second opinion on a candidate you’re heavily considering.
- DON’T promise anyone a position with your crew because you may find someone you like better!
- DO ask for recommendations if you’re having a hard time filling positions.
- DON’T hire someone that may be skilled and experienced, but has a personality that doesn’t mesh with the rest of your crew.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in San Jose?
Now that you have the tools and know-how needed to hire a film crew in San Jose, you should put all of this info to good use! If you have any worries about the hiring process, consider calling Team Beverly Boy. We’re a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in San Jose ready to work right away!
We’re ready to help with your film project from pre production to post-production. No matter if you need interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films, we can help. When you are hiring a film crew in San Jose we are the go to guys! We also service Santa Clara, Campbell, East Foothills, Milpitas, and Cupertino.