How to Hire a Film Crew in Los Angeles
Learning how to hire a film crew in Los Angeles can be a daunting task to take on for anyone. But is necessary to do to ensure that you create the highest quality videos! There is a lot to consider when hiring a film staff: budget, reliability, and experience, to name a few. Team Beverly Boy has outlined some important resources that can help you approach this task with strong knowledge and confidence!
We also service the following zip codes: 93101, 92270, 92799, and 93004.
Film Crew Positions
The first step is to familiarize yourself with the many different roles that each play a crucial part in the film production process. By hiring certain positions in a certain order, your professional Los Angeles crew can help make the hiring process go smoothly for you.
We offer full service Los Angeles film production services. From location scouting to Los Angeles film permits, we’ve got the tools for taking on every step of the process. Whether you need a 3 man film crew at the Hollywood Sign or you are shooting an independent film on the Hollywood Walk of Fame we’re here to help.
Here’s the Los Angeles film crew hierarchy:
- Director – The driving force behind the production. They can often recommend other people for open positions, especially those they work best with.
- Script Writer – This role is necessary if you don’t already have a script. Prospective directors want to see a script before accepting projects, so you may have to hire this role first.
- Line Producer – Ensures that your production stays on budget.
- Unit Production Manager – Responsible for production logistics, and they may have some insight on how to find other crew members.
- Production Coordinator – For large productions, this person helps with contracts, paperwork, and other such tasks.
- Locations Manager – Scouts locations for film sets outside of a studio.
- Cinematographer – The person filming the project! One of the most important roles to hire.
- Production Manager – The person in charge of expenses and contracts. Cinematographers may have recommendations for this role.
- Production Designer – Responsible for creative aspects of the project. Can be recommended through managers.
- Sound Engineer – Makes the audio in your video sound top-quality.
- Sound Crew – Sound engineers do incredible work, but not even they can work with bad audio! A sound crew can ensure that the engineer has what they need to make it come together and sound amazing.
How to Find a Film Crew in Los Angeles
The easiest way to find a film crew in Los Angeles is to hire an experienced film production company like Beverly Boy Productions. You still need to do your homework to ensure that you’re working with the best team for your project, but their knowledge can help you make the important and hard decisions!
If you want to handle the hiring process on your own, here are some tips on where you can find film crew professionals in Los Angeles:
- Los Angeles’s Film Commission – the local commission is an amazing resource for all things related to filming in your specific location. They often have a production directory that lets you connect with local qualified crew members easily, which is an important tool to utilize.
- Los Angeles Film crew websites & forums – this is another way of finding people to fill specific roles on your production.
Hiring a Film Crew in Los Angeles
Assume that you have a few potential candidates to add to your film crew. What should you look for to ensure that the film production in Los Angeles runs as you plan? Remember that the size of your film crew in Los Angeles is specific to your needs, so it doesn’t need to be large if you only need a small crew!
We also service Orange, Santa Barbara, Riverside, and Ventura counties.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
The subject of film crew Pay can be an awkward conversation, but this is an absolute must when you are hiring. You should always be open about the pay rates and expectations of the film crew member. Just because someone is willing to work for cheap doesn’t mean they put out work that will be the quality you want and need for your project! When you are deciding on your budget, expect and plan to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel is a video that shows off someone’s previous work. Coupled with a resume, you can see whether or not this person’s style and work ethic aligns with your own interests.
When a position doesn’t have a demo, checking for references can go a long way. Resumes are a simple way to gauge a person’s experience, reaching out to those who’ve worked with the individual before to understand their skill (or lack thereof) goes a long way.
Dos and Don’ts
- DO ask others for a second opinion on anyone you are considering hiring.
- DON’T promise anyone a position with your production because you might find someone you like better later on!
- DO ask for crew recommendations if you’re having a hard time filling any position on your crew.
- DON’T hire someone that may be skilled with what you need, but has a personality that doesn’t work well with the rest of the crew.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in Los Angeles?
Now that you have what you need to hire a film crew in Los Angeles, it’s time to put this information to use! If you have any worries about this process, contact Team Beverly Boy today! We’re a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in Los Angeles ready to work with you!
We’re ready to assist your film project from beginning to end, whether you need interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films, we can help. When it comes to hiring a film crew in Los Angeles we are the go to guys!
We also service Glendale, Long Beach, Anaheim, and Santa Ana.