How to Hire a Film Crew in Colorado Springs
Learning how to hire a film crew in Colorado Springs can be daunting, but it is a necessary task to ensure that you create the highest quality videos! There’s much to consider when hiring a film staff: budget, reliability, and experience, to name a few things. Team Beverly Boy has outlined some important resources that can help you take on this task with clarity and confidence!
We also service the following zip codes 80108, 80106, 81034, and 80823.
Film Crew Positions
The first step to take is to learn about the various roles that play a critical part in the film production process. By hiring your crew members in a specific order, your professional Colorado Springs crew can make the hiring process go smoothly.
We offer full service Colorado Springs film production services. From location scouting to Colorado Springs film permits, we’ve got the tools for every step of the process, no matter if you need a 3 man film crew at Pikes Peak or you are shooting an independent film on Tejon Street we’ve got you covered on all of your needs.
Here’s the Colorado Springs film crew hierarchy:
- Director – is the driving force in the production. They can recommend many people for other positions, especially ones they work best with.
- Script Writer – this position is necessary if you don’t have a script. Directors may want to read a script before they accept a project, so you may need to hire for this position first.
- Line Producer – Ensures that your production stays on budget.
- Unit Production Manager – is responsible for production logistics. With the line producer, they can offer insight and information on how to find other crew members for your production.
- Production Coordinator – For large productions, this person helps with contracts, paperwork, and other administrative tasks.
- Locations Manager – this person scouts locations for film sets outside of a studio.
- Cinematographer – is the person filming the project, making them one of the most important roles on the set!
- Production Manager – The person in charge of production expenses and negotiating contracts. Cinematographers may have recommendations for this role.
- Production Designer – this person is responsible for the creative side of the project. They can be recommended through production managers.
- Sound Engineer – The one who makes the audio in your video sound the best quality it can be.
- Sound Crew – Sound engineers may seem like wizards, but not even they can work with poor audio, and that is why a sound crew is crucial. They ensure that the engineer has what they need to make it all come together.
How to Find a Film Crew in Colorado Springs
The easiest way to find a film crew in Colorado Springs is to hire an experienced film production company like Beverly Boy Productions. Of course, you always need to do your research to ensure that you’re working with the best team for your specific project, but their knowledge can help you make some tough decisions!
If you would rather take on the hiring process yourself, here are some great tips for where to find film crew professionals in Colorado Springs:
- Colorado Springs’s Film Commission – the local commission is the best resource for filming in your area. They have a production directory that helps you to connect with professional crew members that can meet your project’s needs.
- Colorado Springs Film crew websites & forums – this is a very good way of finding people to fill specific roles in your production.
Hiring a Film Crew in Colorado Springs
Assume that you have a few different potential candidates for your film crew. What should you look for to ensure the film production in Colorado Springs goes as it should? The size of your film crew in Colorado Springs needs to meet your needs—it doesn’t need to be large to be perfect!
We also service Douglas County, Elbert County, Lincoln County, and Crowley County.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
The subject of film crew Pay can be a huge headache, but is a must-have when hiring. The pay rates and expectations of the film crew member need to be transparent and upfront- just because someone will work for cheap doesn’t mean the work they produce will be the quality you need! When deciding on your budget, expect to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel is a video that showcases the work a professional crew member has done. This, with a resume, allows you to see whether this person’s style matches your own interests.
If someone does not have a demo reel, checking references goes a long way. Resumes are a simple and basic method of gauging someone’s experience, but sometimes it’s best to contact others who’ve worked with the person you’re thinking of hiring to understand their skill level.
Dos and Don’ts
- DO get a second opinion on any candidate you’re considering hiring.
- DON’T promise anyone a position on your crew because you may find someone you like better!
- DO get recommendations if you’re having a hard time filling any position.
- DON’T hire someone that may be skilled, but doesn’t have a personality that meshes well with the rest of the crew.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in Colorado Springs?
Now that you have the knowledge that can help you hire a film crew in Colorado Springs, it’s time to put it to use! If you have any worries/concerns about the process, call Team Beverly Boy. We’re a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in Colorado Springs ready to work with you today!
We can help with your film project from pre production to editing, no matter if you need interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films– we can help with it all. When hiring a film crew in Colorado Springs we are the go to guys! We also service Cimarron Hills, Fort Carson, Air Force Academy, and Fountain.