How to Hire a Film Crew in Raleigh
Learning how to hire a film crew in Raleigh can be difficult, but it’s necessary to ensure that you create the highest quality videos! There is plenty to think about when hiring a film staff: budget, expertise, reliability, and more! Team Beverly Boy has outlined some resources to help you approach this process with confidence!
We also service the following zip codes: 27577, 27893, 27596, and 27816.
Film Crew Positions
The first step is to understand the various roles that play an important part in the film production process. By hiring certain positions first, your professional Raleigh crew can make the rest of the hiring process run quickly and easily for you.
We offer full service Raleigh film production services. From location scouting to Raleigh film permits, we’ve got the tools for every step of the process, so no matter if you need a 3 man film crew at William B. Umstead State Park or you are shooting an independent film on Fayetteville Street we can help.
Here’s the Raleigh film crew hierarchy:
- Director – The driving force of the production. Hiring them first helps because they can recommend other people to hire for your production, especially those they work well with.
- Script Writer – This person is necessary if you don’t have a script. Directors often want to see a script before accepting a project, so you’d need to hire them first.
- Line Producer – Ensures that your production stays on budget.
- Unit Production Manager – Responsible for the logistics. In conjunction with the line producer, they may offer insight on how to find other crew members.
- Production Coordinator – This person helps with paperwork and other administrative tasks.
- Locations Manager – Scouts locations for film sets that you may need outside of a studio.
- Cinematographer – One of the most important roles on set because they film the project!
- Production Manager – The person in charge of expenses and negotiating contracts. Cinematographers may have some recommendations for this role.
- Production Designer – Responsible for the creative aspect of the project. They can be recommended through the production managers.
- Sound Engineer – The one who makes the audio sound amazing.
- Sound Crew – Sound engineers may seem like wizards, but poor quality audio limits what they can do! A sound crew gives them what they need to make it all come together.
How to Find a Film Crew in Raleigh
The best and easiest way to find a film crew in Raleigh is to hire an experienced film production company, such as Beverly Boy Productions. You need to do your research, of course, to choose the best team for your project, but our knowledge can help you make hard decisions!
If you would rather handle the hiring process alone, here is some insight on where to find film crew professionals in Raleigh:
- Raleigh’s Film Commission – the local commission is a great resource for all things filming in your area. They most often have a production directory that lets you find and connect with local qualified crews.
- Raleigh Film crew websites & forums – this is a good way of finding people to fill specific roles on your crew.
Hiring a Film Crew in Raleigh
Let’s say you have a few potential candidates for your film crew. In this case, what should you look for to ensure that the whole film production in Raleigh runs smoothly? The size of your film crew in Raleigh is specific to your needs—it doesn’t have to be big to be right!
We also service Johnston, Wilson, Nash, and Franklin counties.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
Discussing film crew Pay can be a huge, awkward headache, but this conversation is a must when you are hiring for any position. You need to be open about the pay and your expectations of the film crew member right from the start. Just because someone comes cheap doesn’t mean the work they do is the quality you want or need! When deciding on your budget, expect to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel is a video resume that showcases the work an individual has done, and when paired with a resume, it gives you a very clear picture of this person’s style and work ethic to see that it aligns with your own.
With a position that doesn’t have or need a demo reel, checking references helps. Resumes are the most basic method of gauging someone’s experience, but it’s a good idea to reach out to those who’ve worked with the person you are thinking of hiring to understand their skills.
Dos and Don’ts
- DO ask for a second opinion on candidates you’re considering hiring.
- DON’T promise anyone a position on your crew to anyone because you might find someone you like better!
- DO ask for recommendations if you’re having a hard time filling a position.
- DON’T hire someone that is skilled, but doesn’t work well with the rest of the crew.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in Raleigh?
Now that you have the tools to hire a film crew in Raleigh, put this information to good use! If you have any worries about the process, contact Team Beverly Boy. We’re a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in Raleigh ready to work with you.
We can assist with your film project from start to finish, no matter if you need interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films– we’re here to help! When hiring a film crew in Raleigh we are the go to guys! We also service Garner, Cary, Apex, and Clayton.