How to Hire a Film Crew in Madison
Learning how to hire a film crew in Madison can be overwhelming but it can be helpful for when you want to produce the most high-quality videos! There are several things to think about when it comes to hiring a film staff: budget, knowledge and expertise. Team Beverly Boy has put together some details that can help you in this process.
We also service the following zip codes: 53717, 53562, and 53704.
Film Crew Positions
You want to get familiar with the various roles that are an important part in the film production process. By hiring all the right candidates and in a specific order, you can ensure that the whole hiring process of your professional Madison crew runs smoothly.
We offer full service Madison film production services. From location scouting to Madison film permits, we’ve got the resources you’re looking for. We can have a 3 man film crew at Wisconsin State Capitol, or you are shooting an independent film on North Street, our team is here to help.
Here’s the Madison film crew hierarchy:
- Director – The force behind your production project. They are also knowledgeable about who else you should hire for the job.
- Script Writer – Necessary if you don’t yet have a script written. Prospective directors will want to see a script before moving forward.
- Line Producer – allows your production project to stay within budget.
- Unit Production Manager – Handles the production logistics. With the line producer, they could also offer insight on other must-have crew members.
- Production Coordinator – For larger productions, this person can help with paperwork and administrative tasks.
- Locations Manager – They look for locations for film sets outside of a studio.
- Cinematographer – The person who’s capturing the project—an important role in a project.
- Production Manager – The person who handles expenses and contracts. Usually a cinematographer can provide suggestions.
- Production Designer – Responsible for various creative sides of a project. Often recommended through a production manager.
- Sound Engineer – The one who makes sure that the audio is top quality.
- Sound Crew – Sound engineers are very talented but even they can’t work with poor-quality sound.
How to Find a Film Crew in Madison
The easiest way to find a film crew in Madison is to work with an experienced film production company like Beverly Boy Productions. You want to make sure to do some research before making a decision to ensure you’re working with the best option for you but their extensive knowledge can help you make tough decisions.
If you want to take on the job yourself, these resources below can help you find the best film crew professionals in Madison:
- Madison’s Film Commission – the local commission is a great option for finding things that have to do with the region. The production directory helps you find the best crew members.
- Madison Film crew websites & forums – a great way to find people who can fill your roster.
Hiring a Film Crew in Madison
What if you have candidates already lined up in your film crew? What are you looking for to ensure your film production in Madison runs well. We’ll make sure your film crew in Madison is designed for your production needs—it doesn’t have to be a huge crew.
We also service Jefferson, Rock, and Sauk counties.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
The subject of film crew Pay can certainly be an awkward one but it’s a must when it’s time to hire as the potential film crew member will want transparency about pay, as will you. Just because someone is available for a cheap price doesn’t mean that you’ll get the quality you want! When deciding on your budget, you will need to consider that you’ll want to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel is a video that showcases work an individual has already worked on. When you receive a resume along with the reel, you can get an in-depth feel of what level of skill this person can bring to the table and if it matches your creative ideas.
In instances where a person may not have a reel, you could also ask for references. This helps you have a clear idea of what their skill level is, as you’ll be speaking to someone who has actual experience working with them.
Dos and Don’ts
- DO ask others for a second opinion on someone you’re interested in working with.
- DON’T promise anyone a job, only to find there’s someone better for it later!
- DO ask for crew recommendations if you need help filling a position.
- DON’T hire a person who may have skill but lacks the type of personality that meshes well with other crew members.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in Madison?
Now that you have the resources you need when you want to hire a film crew in Madison, it’s time to put this information to good use. This is when Team Beverly Boy can be of service. We are a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in Madison ready to produce quality video.
We’re ready to help you with your film project from pre production to post, whether you need interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films, we’d be happy to help. We are here to get started hiring a film crew in Madison we are the go to guys!
We also provide services in Fitchburg, Middleton, Waunakee, and Verona.