How to Hire a Film Crew in Columbus
Learning how to hire a film crew in Columbus can be a hard task, but it is necessary to do in order to ensure that you create the highest quality videos! There are many aspects to think about when hiring a film staff: budget, reliability, experience, to start. Team Beverly Boy has outlined some important resources that can help you tackle this process with confidence!
We also service the following zip codes: 43015, 43062, 43028, and 43107.
Film Crew Positions
First, familiarize yourself with the various roles that play a crucial part in the film production process. By hiring certain positions in a certain order, your professional Columbus crew can make the hiring process go smoothly.
We offer full service Columbus film production services. From location scouting to Columbus film permits, we’ve got the tools for each step of the way, no matter if you need a 3 man film crew at Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens or you are shooting an independent film on High Street we can do it all!
Here’s the Columbus film crew hierarchy:
- Director – This person is the driving force of the entire production, meaning they should be hired first or second. They can recommend a number of people for other positions, especially those they work well with.
- Script Writer – This is a necessary role if you don’t have a script already written. Prospective directors may want to read a script before they accept a project, so you may need to hire them first
- Line Producer – They ensure that your production stays on schedule and budget.
- Unit Production Manager – These people are responsible for the logistics, and they may have some insight on how to find necessary crew members.
- Production Coordinator – For large productions, this person handles the contracts, paperwork, and other such administrative tasks.
- Locations Manager – Finds locations for film sets that need to be outside of a studio.
- Cinematographer – The person filming the project, making them one of the most important roles.
- Production Manager – The person in charge of expenses and contracts. Cinematographers may have recommendations for someone to hire for this role.
- Production Designer – This person is responsible for the creative aspects of the project. They can be recommended through production managers.
- Sound Engineer – This person makes the audio in your video sound its best.
- Sound Crew – Sound engineers are masters at what they do, but they cannot work with bad audio! A sound crew ensures that the engineer has what they need to make everything sound great.
How to Find a Film Crew in Columbus
The best way to find a film crew in Columbus is to contact and work with an experienced film production company like Beverly Boy Productions. You need to always do your own research to ensure that you’re with the best team for your project, but their knowledge can help you make some tough decisions!
If you want to do the hiring on your own, here are some tips on where to find film crew professionals in Columbus:
- Columbus’s Film Commission – this commission is the best resource for all things filming in your area. They will often have a production directory that lets you connect with a qualified crew.
- Columbus Film crew websites & forums – This is another way to easily find people to fill roles in your production roster.
Hiring a Film Crew in Columbus
Assume that you have several potential candidates in mind for your film crew- What do you look for to make sure that the film production in Columbus goes as it should? Your film crew in Columbus is tailored to your needs, so it doesn’t need to be large to be a true fit!
We also service Delaware, Licking, Fairfield, and Knox counties.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
The subject of film crew Pay can be a headache, but when you are hiring for anything it is a conversation you must have. Always be open about your pay rates and expectations you have of the film crew member. Remember- just because someone works for cheap doesn’t mean the work will be the quality you want! When you are deciding on your budget, plan to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel is a video that showcases the work an individual has done in the past. With a resume and a demo, you can get a good sense of the person’s style and work ethic to ensure that it matches your own interests.
In the case of a position that doesn’t have or need a demo, checking your references can help. Resumes are a basic method of determining a person’s past experience, but contacting those who’ve worked with them to understand their skill is great, too!
Dos and Don’ts
- DO get a second opinion on a candidate you’re considering hiring.
- DON’T promise anyone a position with your crew, because you might find someone you like better!
- DO get recommendations if you’re having a hard time filling positions.
- DON’T hire someone that is skilled but that doesn’t mesh with the rest of the crew.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in Columbus?
Now that you have the knowledge needed to hire a film crew in Columbus, put this information to good use! If you have worries about the process, call Team Beverly Boy. We’re a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in Columbus ready to work with you today!
We’re ready to assist you with your film project from start to finish, so when you need interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films, we’re ready to do it all! When hiring a film crew in Columbus we are the go to guys! We also service Bexley, Upper Arlington, Whitehall, Lincoln Village, and Grove City.