How to Hire a Film Crew in Chicago
Learning how to hire a film crew in Chicago can be daunting, but is a necessary one to ensure that you create the highest quality videos! There is plenty to consider when hiring a film staff: budget, reliability, experience. Team Beverly Boy has outlined some great resources to help you approach this undertaking with confidence!
We also service the following zip codes: 60098, 60047, 60157, and 60109.
Film Crew Positions
The first step is to learn and understand the various roles that each play a huge and important part in the film production process. By hiring certain positions in a particular order, your professional Chicago crew can make the rest of the hiring process run easily.
We offer full service Chicago film production services. From location scouting to Chicago film permits, we’ve got the tools you need to go through every step of the process. Whether you need a 3 man film crew at Willis Tower or you are shooting an independent film on Michigan Avenue we’ve got you covered.
Here’s the Chicago film crew hierarchy:
- Director – This is the driving force of the production, and hiring them first helps because they can recommend other people to hire, especially those they work well with.
- Script Writer – This person is only necessary if you don’t already have a script, and that means you should hire them first. Directors often want to see a script before accepting a project.
- Line Producer – Ensures your production stays on budget.
- Unit Production Manager – Responsible for the logistics. In conjunction with the line producer, they may have some insight on how to find other needed crew members.
- Production Coordinator – This person helps with paperwork and other administrative tasks.
- Locations Manager – Scouts locations for film sets outside of a studio.
- Cinematographer – One of the most important roles on set- hey film the project!
- Production Manager – The person in charge of expenses and negotiating the various contracts. Cinematographers may have some recommendations on who to hire for this role.
- Production Designer – Responsible for all the creative aspects of the project. They can be recommended through the production managers.
- Sound Engineer – The one who makes the audio sound top-quality.
- Sound Crew – Sound engineers may seem like magical wizards, but poor quality audio limits their powers! A sound crew gives the engineer what they need to make it come together.
How to Find a Film Crew in Chicago
The easiest way to find a film crew in Chicago is to hire an experienced film production company like Beverly Boy Productions. You still need to do your research to choose the best team for your project, but our skills and knowledge can help you make hard decisions!
If you would rather tackle the hiring process alone, here is insight on where you can find film crew professionals in Chicago:
- Chicago’s Film Commission – the local commission is a great resource for all things related to filming in your local area. They have a production directory that lets you find and connect with local qualified crews.
- Chicago Film crew websites & forums – this is another good way of finding people to fill specific roles on your crew.
Hiring a Film Crew in Chicago
Let’s say you have a few different potential candidates for your film crew. What should you look for to ensure that the whole film production in Chicago runs smoothly and on time? The size of your film crew in Chicago is specifically tailored to your needs—it doesn’t have to be large!
We also service DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties.
Discuss film crew Pay Rates
Discussing film crew Pay can be a huge headache, but is a must when you are hiring. You need to be open about the pay and your expectations of the film crew member. Just because someone will work for cheap doesn’t mean the work they do is the quality you want! When deciding on budget, expect to pay a fair price for top quality film crew members.
Demos & Resumes
A demo reel is a video resume, essentially. It showcases the work an individual has done, and paired with a resume, you get a clear picture of this person’s style and work ethic to see that it aligns with your interests.
In the case of a position that likely doesn’t have or need a demo, checking their references can help. Resumes are the most basic method of gauging experience, but it’s always best to reach out to those who’ve worked with the person you are thinking of hiring to fully understand their skills.
Dos and Don’ts
- DO ask for a second opinion on candidates you’re considering.
- DON’T promise a position on your crew to anyone because you might find someone you like better later!
- DO ask for recommendations if you’re having a hard time finding someone for a position.
- DON’T hire someone that is skilled, but doesn’t mesh with the rest of the crew.
Ready to Hire a Film Crew in Chicago?
Now that you have the tools and knowledge needed to hire a film crew in Chicago, you should put this information to good use! If you have any worries about the process, call or message Team Beverly Boy. We’re a full-service film production company with award winning film crews in Chicago ready to work with you right away.
We can assist with your film project from start to finish, whether you need interviews, documentaries, event coverage, or feature films– we’re here to help with it all! When hiring a film crew in Chicago we are the go to guys!
We also service Cicero, Oak Park, Berwyn, and Forest Park.